Monday, April 16, 2007

Dumb Masses

I refuse to click through all the VA Tech news, refuse to turn the news on again and utterly cannot bear to hear another child brought before mic to express, "...you know, how, like, crazy it was, you know?"

Cold? Yes. Admittedly. Parents are grieving. Families are altered forever. But...I cannot help but think of a room full of people - young, healthy people who were facing their last moments and only one - ONE man with 9mm's. That's it. Even a professional isn't going to be able to resist 30 rushing, resisting, bent on surviving human beings.

So what in the hell happened in that room?

Did they all look at each other, hoping one was packing, or that one was willing to die for the rest of them? Did they just line up to die like lemmings? Why didn't they just think for a minute - a moment - that it was their last decision? That they could take it or dish it out and give themselves a 50/50 chance vs. the 0% he was presenting them?

I know, I know...it's easy from this comfortable chair in my - relatively - secure home. But I've been in a similar place before, with worse odds and no backup. I saw the muzzle flit upward and the twisted smile after it lowered again. Just joking, yeah. A game...

But in that moment...knife came to hand from the counter and I had corners in mind - what would take a hit and remain intact. In that flitting, glinting glance came all my life in a roar in my mind and there was nothing I wouldn't do to continue breathing.

What happened in that room with all that roaring between their ears?

Was there no man there willing to do it - to be the one to take the hit so the rest could have a chance? [Ed: There was. Liviu, meet Fabrizio. I think you'll get along quite well.]

I don't know if I can stand the talking heads long enough to find out if anything else is known. If facts have come to light.

And what of the shooter? What motivations could be possible? Sure, one or two people, perhaps - vengeance. But 30? You have to carry a lot of hate to manage it. Or absolutely no feeling at all. To be God, to be God to each of them and select them...a reaping. Surely. But why?

More questions than answers at this point. Dumb masses - none left to tell the tale, I mean. Mute. Silenced. And someone somewhere is in a funeral home, taking photos, and meeting families outside with dad's that look just like their kids. And, just as likely, wondering what more they could have done.

But the one thing that I feel most clearly...no one was able to meet him on even ground. No other 9mm's there. Because they wanted the school to be a place of safety, a haven of learning. Oh, they learned something alright. That all the lies you've told them over the years - that you'll take care of them, that life is just fine if you will think this way, like us - that there is no truth in any of it.

5 comments:

Paul said...

But the one thing that I feel most clearly...no one was able to meet him on even ground. No other 9mm's there. Because they wanted the school to be a place of safety, a haven of learning.

Do you really think the solution to this is to have more guns?

Crazy people will do crazy things, and if the campus is filled with gun-toting students, then the crazy guy will have to think of a 'better' way to kill people. Increasing the number of guns in the country won't stop crazy desperate people from doing crazy desperate things. All it will do is provide more opportunities for people who otherwise wouldn't be shot to be shot.

LauraB said...

If I were only flippant, I would merely quote your blog entry, "My girlfriend and I watch reality tv. A lot of reality tv."

However, I shall do more than that because it's not enough. I shall send you here. http://majikthise.typepad.com/majikthise_/2007/03/guns_and_guitar.html

It's a long night ahead of you if you wade into that mess of comments. In case you don't know yet, I'm on Billy's side of the argument.

As for your argument - the US is full of gun-totin' sane people who manage, daily, to not shoot a soul. Strangely, this person went shooting where they knew there weren't any guns.

I wonder how long he'd have lasted in TX.

Walrilla said...

All it will do is provide more opportunities for people who otherwise wouldn't be shot to be shot.

Do you really believe 32 dead is better than self-defense? Because, if you do, you should just lay down and die right now.

I'm not advocating for your suicide, really, I'm not. I'm just trying to get you to see that by giving up the right to self-defense, you're asking to be mugged, beaten, shot, whatever. It's almost the same as laying down and giving up.

Christina said...

Well thought out post, Laura.

If one person had been packing a concealed weapon, they could have dropped that psychopath and, perhaps, saved other lives.

Both Dash and Phoenix have good posts up regarding our right to bear arms.

Anonymous said...

i agree whole heartedly with Laurab.......wolves attack sheep, not grizzly bears. Guns do not kill people. People kill people. More people are killed every year in the US by drunken drivers in cars than by guns, so now do we outlaw cars?