Sunday, June 24, 2007

This Ain't My First Rodeo



It's my 2nd.

Well, it was the local town rodeo last night and we had a great time. The weather moved off a few hours earlier leaving some breaks in the clouds and glorious milky light coming down. I could kick myself for not having any slide film loaded in the 35mm (yeah, call me old school - it has a hellaciously better grain, people). I had the digital, though, and got a couple nice shots.

The opening is always very patriotic and this gal was just gorgeous. What a smile - and the look of her later racing across the ring, hair flying? What that must feel like...

The Mutton Busting (putting tikes on 1/2 shaven sheep and setting them loose) was hilarious! I love the calf scramble (a bunch of kids chasing a wee herd of calves to take the ribbon off their tails) but the mutton busting was even better. One little gal had such perfect form that she rode the darn thing almost to the other end of the ring! And, in the end, sheep and gal went ass over tea kettle. She stood up, brushed herself off, adjusted her hair and strutted back to the gates, smiling. She made 88 seconds and won. She also got the best applause of the evening.

There were little photographic vignettes all over the place but without my good camera and lenses it was impossible to catch them. Small town life - amazingly normal and healthy.

2 comments:

Richmond said...

Oh AWESOME!! Looks like you had a great time!! :-)

LauraB said...

It was so much fun - and he took me to the back where they held the bulls and you could see the one shoving all the others around. Called Moonwalker! AND after he tossed off the guy, he did the moonwalk! Crazy TX Times!