If you are in need of some comforting words in difficult moments - or if your wise children could use a bit of advanced understanding, the words of a great man are in order. He took me in his lovely airplane and had a fun plan to teach me to fly by not teaching me anything about how to fly. Let's just say that I was a bit too aggressive in my turns and he had to go high and show me what happens to wings when one gets too aggressive and dumps all the air off the wing. Ahem. Still, I hold those memories in my hands like a shining star.
Squarf is the dearest of friends who gave me just the right advice at just the right time in my life and it changed everything. I mean that just as written. Oh, I'd read the Codex. I thought I understood. But there was a statement he uttered softly and a look he gave and I knew in my soul that I was changed forever.
He recently warned me the site was going bye-bye and it has - and I saved the codex, thank goodness...and I don't think he'd mind my sharing it here for all of you. It's long...and he received the list directly from God, he says, and there are moments of that conversation. LOL Forgive the length but...enjoy!! I shall highlight my own personal favorites...
"Are you sure, Lord?" "NO.I AM A GAMBLER."
1. Despite all appearances to the contrary, you are alone.
2. Beware of those who talk tough and offer to hold your coat while you fight.
3. No one is like you, so you must be careful of your assumptions about others.
4. Change is dependable; the direction of change is undependable.
5. Never let some else's desperation become your desperation.
6. You cannot make anyone happy. It is a do-it-yourself proposition.
7. Chew through all of the umbilical cords which provide toxic nourishment, regardless of to whom they are connected and however long it takes.
8. Never cross a finish line first at the expense of having too little left with which to celebrate.
9. Do not build your house along the fault lines of your existence. Read it again!
10. Never give up. Never stop. Eventually, you will be brought down. Eventually, you will be forced to stop. Never cooperate with the enemy. That is the only way to defeat him, or, failing that, to demonstrate your utter contempt for him.
11. There are no survivors on earth.
12. Be grateful for small favors.
13. Relegate the past to history and move on. Forget nothing.
14. See reality as it is, and not as you want or need it to be. At the same time, hold to whatever idealism seems tenable, and avoid cynicism if possible. Don't be rigid either way.
15. There is invariably a simple answer to every complicated problem, and it is invariably wrong.
16. If you wish to do good, but don't know how, find a good man and empower him to do good -- not in your name, but in the name of doing good.
17. There is nothing in life worth dying for. [Addition by a site vistor 21 October 2003: "There are things in life worth dying for. You will know them, when the time arrives."] (Squarf: "I can think of only one -- love.")
18. You will never be handed a load that is too heavy for you to handle.
19. Don't eat man-made food.
20. The nature of a thing or a person is its inherent nature. You can't change it. You can't even change your own nature.
21. Some realities are unacceptable. Avoid them if possible.
22. Some things are too important to be left up to the experts.
23. Learn to do at least one thing reasonably well, something that time will not easily degrade.
24. Timidity and fear cripples. Aggressiveness and boldness destroys. Find the null point between them and strive to know no fear, nor the impulse toward destructive action.
25. No matter how bad things are, they can get worse. No matter how good things are, they can get worse.
26. Choose your heroes carefully.
27. Put absolute limits on the extent to which you allow others to manipulate your life.
28. Avoid conflict if at all possible. If conflict becomes unavoidable, go to all out war. Since the only goal of battle is victory, never compromise the attainment of your objective by seeking a fair fight.
29. Don't assume too much.
30. Never bluff. If violent action is justified, take that action. Do not apologize for what you had to do. Make sure that the other side knows that if such an such action is ever forced upon you in the future, that it will be orders of magnitude more severe.
31. The best that you can do regarding hatred by others of you, is to convert that hatred into respect by filtering it through the fear and certainty that you will respond forcefully to hostile actions. Your responses should be increasingly harsh. Somewhere along the way the message will get through, and hatred will be reclassified as misunderstanding. At such time, be gracious and speak softly, but keep your army well-equipped and ready for the next battle.
32. This is classified -- God's eyes only; and the messenger must die even though he did not know what he was delivering.
33. You cannot be prepared for the unexpected (see 32, above).
34. You are here, now, and nowhere else. Act accordingly.
35. Do not love nor fear death. It is oblivious to you and your emotions.
36. Every life is as important as yours.
37. If at all possible, avoid anything and everything that is not agreeable to you.
38. The immorality of the priest and the absurdity of the parishioner in no way compromise the sanctity of the sacraments.
39. If you meet the Buddha on the road, be respectful but not obsequious; and politely refuse his offer to enlighten you. True enlightenment is acheived by each individual via experience, and not through teachers or organizations.
40. Life is not what any of us had in mind.
41. You cannot understand certain things until you have the ability to understand those things. So? So stop being anxious about them. When your need and ability to understand come together, then, and only then, will you understand. Understand?
42. In nature there are no rewards or punishments, just consequences.
43. Accept the gift in its component parts even though, at times, and by so doing, you make a mockery of what you thought you were and what you thought you stood for. You sometimes make a mockery of yourself by merely being alive. (From the Advanced Codex.)
"Lord, they are not going to understand the advanced stuff."
"THEIR UNDERSTANDING IS THE LEAST OF MY CONCERNS."
"Then why do You want me to post such portions of the Codex?"
"NO ONE IS PERMITTED TO ASK ME WHY."
44. Never ask the Lord "Why?"
45. If your enemies will get rich on what you leave behind, burn it before you go.
46. What you do or do not do does not make any difference. What you do or do not do makes all the difference in the world. Take your pick.
47. All men are equal at the moment of their birth and at the moment of their death. Between birth and death all men strive for advantageous inequality.
48. Six dangerous words: "It will be different this time."
49. If so much in life means nothing, then what means something? Think about it.
50. Don't implement a short term solution for a long term problem. Don't implement a long term solution for a short term problem. Check the symmetry of your problem-solving criteria.
51. When in doubt, don't.
52. If you remain silent, you won't be asked to repeat what you said.
53. Try to come to peace with yourself, despite your correct assessment of others' and your own inadequacies.
54. Never expect another person to appreciate what you have accomplished, what you have gone through or sacrificed in the name of that accomplishment, or how desperate were your darkest hours... or how heroic you had to be to merely survive, let alone to prevail.
54a. The other person is as tangled up in his or her own preciousness as you are tangled up in yours.
54b. If you are still alive, and find it agreeable, why, hug yourself and squeal with delight... and accept the reality that you will never be able to communicate the vital aspects of your experiences to anyone else; besides others are simply not interested... nor are you interested in others' self-serving tales of heroism and derring-do.
55. When need exceeds fear or distaste you will take action. You will not take action before then.
"CLARIFY THAT, MEATBALL!"
Clarification: Nobody wants to do certain things, but when the need is great enough an individual will do what is required. "Why, oh Lord, didn't you understand what I wrote in 55 above?"
"I TOLD YOU, MEATBALL, NEVER ASK ME WHY!"
56. The meaning of life is within you; reside there, and in peace, if you can manage it. There is no satisfactory alternative.
"You buy that one, Lord?"
"NO. THAT'S WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SELL SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME."
57. Speaking of the Lord and time, be advised that God's real name is "Tomorrow." All that is required to believe in Him is to believe in Tomorrow. Think about it when you are troubled. It is also worth keeping in mind that time exists so that we do not experience everything at once.
58. If you can't raise a puppy to be a well-behaved dog, how can you raise a child to be a decent person?