Saturday, September 08, 2007

Missing Links

I am truly missing my home PC hard drive...I was going to do two different things today and each would require data from that dead drive and each time I was newly disappointed to remember that the data was there and not here on the laptop.

I know that it means I REALLY need to backup the stuff on the laptop, now. Heavens forfend I lose THIS data, too. I am thinking about trying to mount that drive in an old case and boot it as a 2nd drive - maybe the damned thing just hasn't got a boot record left or whatever but the data can be acquired in a simple directory structure.

The most irritating aspect to the failure is that I'd just loaded all the photo cds onto that drive. Years of pics...

In all my years of computing (read DOS and BBSing)I have NEVER had a drive failure. My God - I was a virgin. LOL I sure do miss my PC...but that doesn't mean I cannot show you something...he always knew he'd be a Ranger...LOL He tells me he used to practice roping on the ceramic bulls and somehow one day a bull was broken. Not that he did it...uh huh...

I love you, darlin'....

1 comment:

zonker said...

Amazon S3.

http://aws.amazon.com/s3

Yes, you pay for it but it's dirt cheap. You can store massive quantities of backups there...or just key files....or whatever. Really cool stuff. If you don't feel like rolling your own interface, there's a nifty little Firefox plugin (S3 Fox) that makes managing your S3 files a snap.