Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Addition To The Family

It's been a rough few weeks - and I've had that deathly crud for over 5 days - so I've been preoccupied. But over the last weekend we tried to celebrate my birthday just a bit. I offered up a visit to a pet supply shop that is so darling...there, a German Shepherd Rescue group had several dogs available for a meet and greet.


If you could have seen Trooper's face....



So, that evening he hit the net and looked at one shelter after another. And that's when he saw Ranger. The very next day we went to see the fellow and he fell in love with him. The photo doesn't do him justice at all.

Ranger is at least a Belgian Malinois with perhaps a bit of something else tucked in there. Hard to know for certain, of course. And he's young enough to learn to leave the cats alone - I hope. I worry most about that but he seems quite smart so we're hoping we can work it out.

I haven't seen Trooper so happy. He has wanted a dog for a very long time and was kindly deferring it due to the cats. But if you'd seen the shelter...sigh...not a single run, no play, just a concrete cell...even if I'd had any qualms I could not have fielded them after seeing that place. One knows a county does what it can with what it is given but...surely someone could donate some fencing to allow them a bit more room...

Alright - so there's that. And now the general house cleaning to remove all dog temptations and the holiday dinner hostessing. Ranger is going to be spoiled rotten, I'm afraid...let's hope the application is approved and we can fetch him soon. When we left the shelter, Ranger was trying to come with us and I saw Trooper swipe away a tear - "He wants to come with us now..."

Sigh...what a softy.

4 comments:

Richmond said...

Oh wonderful - Ranger looks like a perfect pup. I am so happy for ALL of you!!

justdotchristina@gmail.com said...

AWWW!

He is adorable!

; )

Joan of Argghh! said...

Awww! Congrats!

Puppies are teh awesome!

LauraB said...

LOLOL Thanks, you guys! Seriously - I had NO IDEA that they needed each other so much. It is serendipity, I think. Truly. They have a very strong connection already...

Still, cats rule - dogs drool!