Sunday, November 11, 2007

Veteran's Day, 2007


"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his". - Gen. George S. Patton


There are a lot of reasons this day means a great deal to me but - there is no need for balloons and ribbons - just quiet acceptance that there are those who did what had to be done.

I love this photo of Trooper's grandpa - V-Day timeframe near the Danube. He did what had to be done with a sort of "fine, next?" alacrity that the country boys had. They'd been hungry and poor. This wasn't so bad, in the grand scheme of things.

I am so sorry I did not know him when he was in fine form. But you could see it in his eyes - that young man with the devilish smile.

And the flowers...

Bless you, Grandpa - for going, for coming home, and for raising the boy into the man I love.

No comments: