Thursday, February 07, 2008

Dog Days

See, I did NOT want a dog. I didn't because it is different from a cat. A cat is your friend but it isn't...the relationship is different. A dog goes with you, understands...and you love them so much differently than a cat.

And I know that this is going to irritate a lot of people but having both I can say it and know it to be true.

Because Ranger has gone lame in a hind leg and it is breaking my heart. I cannot tell you...I search the net for causes and treatments, I know more now about all manner of canine ailments than I could have imagined and yet - he's still limping.

I watch his breathing and hate the vet for not knowing WHY his hock is swollen. I want a definitive answer, damn it. I'm relieved and angry that the xrays showed no breaks. I'm terrified of the NSAID that gives him some relief from the pain because it might hurt him, too.

Maybe its an insect wound and he'll be fine when the antibiotics that his father is bringing home now start to work. Maybe the vet should have given those to us yesterday. And maybe its something worse that she isn't spending enough time considering like a muscle tear.

All these things...all these things in my mind. And I cannot even imagine it getting worse. Actually, I can. Damn it...I love that stupid dog...

6 comments:

Joan of Argghh! said...

Just damn.

I'm so sorry for the young guy. Pepper's young, too, and you expect them to be... bouncy and fierce and happy. And it's sheer misery when they are not.

I've had a few cats and know exactly what you're saying. They don't really bond with you as much as own you. Although it's hard to see independent tough guy cats go all wobbly and sick, too.

Let's hang in there with our immortal dog-creatures-- angels come to earth for all I know-- and see what will come to pass.

LauraB said...

Bless you for even having a moment to spare here. I am wholly absorbed in "did he eat, drink, blood in his poop?". And terrified to be alone all day with him tomorrow in case something goes wrong.

I tried to lift him to a chair and he howled when I erred somehow. I ran away and cried and cried. Still am. I am not made for this...I need to KNOW WHY. And what to do. Task me and I will do it. But this waiting and seeing? FUCK, I can't take it...

I've asked Mommer to lend her kindness, to let him heal as she once did...to tell us what is wrong if she can...an answer...

Bless you for what you are going through...

Christina said...

Hey.

You need to send Dash an email. When Skeet was a puppy he would often limp, although I can't remember whether it was the shoulder or hind leg. The vet had no clue.

When he (Skeet) went off to school for hunting/retrieving, Dash mentioned it to the guy. He told him it was the food we were giving him that was causing him to grow too fast...the bones were growing faster than the muscles could keep up?? Something like that. Dash should remember...

LauraB said...

That could definitely be the case here as that dog grows just looking at him. 55 lbs already and just 8.5 months.

I'll be sending an email thatta way - thanks!!

John austin fitness trainers said...

Maybe it is bites. Since moving to Texas my dog has been a few inches from water mocasins and a tarantula without ever knowing it. I happened to see them before she did and got her clear quickly. I might not have seen them, and she could have been bitten. I would have never known it. She was badly bitten by red ants - the only time she has ever cried for an extended period.

LauraB said...

With the dense fur that Ranger presents I couldn't see a thing. Just so happy he is recovered. I think. LOL He has already torn up Trooper's cigar...