Tuesday, April 15, 2008

An Agile Mind

I remember back in the day when the Internet was still only for geeks and BBSes ruled the bandwidth. (Yes, all that with the 2400 baud modem...) Not long after came Clifford Stoll's book, The Cuckoo's Egg. Here you can see him speak at TED. It's an interesting event with both good and bad (to my taste) topics. But this guys' mind...

Sigh...

It reminds me that once my mind was held captive by topology. Remember that I am mathematically crippled. However, I can easily render in my mind the concepts relating to the subject. The Mobius strip makes perfect sense. String theory, too, was relatively (heh heh) simple on its face. But then...life interceded and now I can hardly remember a thing about it all.

So I am impressed with that frenetic mind. And his bottles, yes. LOL Now, can Christina knit this? (Of course, it's tempting to learn to knit just to make the DNA scarf...)

2 comments:

Sam Alex said...

Ahh, I miss the days of BBSes... and actually I give Stoll's book _The Cuckoo's Egg_ part credit for me getting into the computer field. I was about 15 when I first picked it up around 1990, and though I already had a few years of working with computers at that point, it completely turned me on to computer networking, Unix, and more. I still make it a point to read it every few years, and it's kind of my 'stand by' book if nothing else is around.

I also watched the Ted video you linked to a while back, and it is great .. totally par for Stoll's speeches, though I've never seen one in person.

Thanks for the post ---

Sam Alex

LauraB said...

Thx, Sam, for the comment. Amazing what has come of it all in so short a time...