Tuesday, August 19, 2008

RVW's Tallis Fantasia - Unknowable Mysteries

This is one of my favorite pieces of music. Just a perfect, perfect creation.



But what I found was this very interesting discussion and dissection of the music. Very informative!! There appear to be 4 total...worth some time if you have it.



As a commenter notes, "If you have iTunes, get the version performed by the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, conducted by Sir Neville Marriner. It comes with "The Lark Ascending," "Fantasia on Greensleeves" and "Five Variants of 'Dives and Lazarus.'" It's $9.99 and it's absolutely gorgeous. "

It truly is the best version I've found and the entire CD is like the score for a dream of heaven.

Joe Bob says check it out.

3 comments:

Joan of Argghh! said...

That was simply incredible. How have I missed hearing that music before now? No matter. I've heard it and now it is my favorite, too.

Thank you so much, LauraB!

LauraB said...

Oh! I am so pleased to introduce it to you!! It is a sort of mental score for me. I cannot tell you how evocative it is...sigh...

DO get the noted CD. So divine.

I can still remember getting the CD from the Atlanta Public Library. I think that there was a mention of it long ago on the Bernstein Concerts for Children show. I recalled it and there it was in all its glory.

I have a personal belief that he was gifted with it by the fey. Simply too lovely to be a human composition. LOL

THX!!

DirtCrashr said...

That's really very nice!