Sunday, September 28, 2008

AF, Personal Wing, and...Michael Martin Murphey

So bear with me because it's gonna be a scattershot sorta post. I actually went out today and drove now that the meds are mostly behind me. Met the Trooper for lunch and he related to the guests his tale of the morning.

He was a little tuckered out and moving slow, eating his breakfast as a call went out on the radio to the locals - a pony running free in the roadway. Cackling, he grabs his cell and reaches dispatch as the green Deputy accepts the call on the radio.

"I'll pay you $5 to get on the radio and say the pony's name is Wildfire..." It wasn't 5 seconds later..."Complainant advises pony's name is Wildfire." You could hear the laughter across the county and the young guy does NOT put it together. On scene, he even confirmed with the owners that the name was, indeed, Wildfire so that he could accurate note it in the report. Word is they just looked at him. It wasn't until he had closed out the call and was in office asking, "What did it matter what its' name was...oh, damn it!"

For those of you not getting the joke because you're too damned young - pardon the earworm:


This morning I also spent time looking at vids for Air Force BMT - Basic Training. I was curious what it might be like for my stepdaughter in a month or so. Lucky gal will get to be one of the first to get the new 8.5 wk course vs. the current 6.5 wk. She's in the middle of a training routine to prepare for it, taking the month to run, swim, and workout so that she can be at weight and ready to go. She'll spend a week or two home with us, getting some final finishing from Trooper/Sarge. Maybe some low crawl tips, gun training, salute refinement...that sort of thing. Oh, and bed making. That man can make a bunk to spec like nothing I've ever seen. Might have to take her to Academy here to show her the basic concept.

It'll be nice to have her nearby in San Antonio for awhile even if we can't visit her. I'm proud that she's going with this option as she is frankly flailing about right now and it will do her good to have some stability as well as time to make a plan and see it through. I think it will kick her ass to start, being a very talkative and authority questioning type. But in the end it may be just what she needs. It certainly won't hurt her.

And then there is this - ah, what genius, what courage...and that grin. The man is not young but his age does not show here. Look for the smile. Tip of the prop to LawDog for it...as he says - if you have to ask why you just aren't gonna understand the answer.


Backstory: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7637327.stm
The flight was broadcast live for the National Geographic Channel. Its producer, Kathryn Liptrott, told the BBC Mr Rossy was fearless. "When we've talked to him and asked him are you worried about risk his quote consistently is: I'm not worried about risk, I manage risk.

“He flew Mirage fighters for the Swiss army, he now flies an Airbus. And in his sort of heart he's a pilot and a parachutist and what they do is manage risk."

"Manages risk." I think a great many corporate leaders could learn a lesson from those two little words. Because all they've managed is to stick it to you and me again. And walk away. Frankly, they should be shot. In another time, on another world, that sort of thing would be a hanging offense. Not a word of contrition...no surrender of bonuses and salaries to repair what they've done. And nothing from those morons on parade who have taken from you because they could, because they were enabled by corporations who just wanted the money NOW. Fuck later. Well, later's here.

If you want to truly see the depths of ignorance, go ahead and read this. No, wait - the chickenshit edited the post. Because we're fascists, dontcha know? Cool thing is - cache, baby.

I know that people think me mad when I say that this whole thing - everything you know - is going to burn. It is going to hell a-flame and if you aren't ready for it it's your own damned fault. Because there is an entire GENERATION of people like her coming of age and voting. And you can see that they haven't a clue - not a one - about logic, honor, integrity or even "don't fuck over everyone else because you are a clueless moron". I cannot comprehend it - even when I was young I was never like that. I understood consequences. I could unravel a thought or debate a point. But it's the twilight, my friends. And a long, cold winter to come.

No comments: