Monday, March 09, 2009

Remembrance

On Saturday we left early to get to San Antonio as a sort of pilgrimmage. We would honor The Alamo and perhaps Trooper could refresh his internal guide of honor that has been under general attack of late.

It was a sad thing - full of tourists, we probably ought to have arrived earlier or later to avoid them. It was astounding just how few seemed to have the appropriate gravity and quietude. People ignored the no-photography rule, questioning it as though demanding proof that their flash would harm the interior. Completely missing the point that it just isn't proper form...

He tried to garner that refilling of his soul but I think it was just not meant to be this date. We exited, shuffled around the site, coping with the people there, and speaking with a few reenactors. We wandered into the gift shop, admiring the long diorama there. He pointed out a few aspects to me, garnering the interest of the others there, their questions he answered as best he could. He was, of course, in full Texan regalia with his badge and gun in view. I think some believed he was a Ranger at casual glance. And more than a few gave glances that held more malice as we strolled the streets nearby...

I'd hoped he could come home ready for work, recharged. But I think, instead, it was just an affirmation of what he feared...it's all going to hell, even there, in what ought to be a bastion and birthplace of freedom.

I cannot help but concur with this fellow, that the place needs a bit more solemnity about it. Perhaps not this plan precisely but something needs to be done. Otherwise, it shall become some sad corner for assignations and negotiations of a more distasteful sort...

2 comments:

Sam said...

You know, every time I'm close by, Austin, New Braunfels, San Marcos...I always head down to the Alamo. Not being from Texas, I'm a "notwantabe"tourist...I guess, so I head down to the Walk and drink until the wantabes'thin out. A bunch of my boys from Tennessee went on down and helped out when they needed it, so, I guess, I'm not really a tourist.

The Alamo will make you think...for sure.

LauraB said...

Dang straight those TN gentlemen came when called. And no, you wouldn't be lumped into that sorry group of goobers that were there...