Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Who'd Have Me

I've always eschewed groups, memberships, and the like. I've yet to find one that entirely meets my own way of thinking. Too, when one volunteers you always see that only 1% is doing the actual work while the other 99% are getting credit. I've been that 1% before.

So when I saw LG's commentary, I had to nod my head and grimace. It is me and mine, my friends. Me and mine first. And only then maybe I could consider others.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately - how wise is it to associate with people who are "grouping" and getting rather a lot of attention - desired and un-. The more I consider it, the more I believe that being self-sufficient and willing to stand alone may be the only way to deal with the coming storm.

Of course, my mind tries to move the detritus out of the way and find that bit of synapse that remembers "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress". Heinlein has always been a favorite and that book, when I read it (at perhaps 13 or 14 yrs) had quite the impact. Ah, so that's how revolution happens. I think now that it might be a very fine instruction manual for how to proceed. Time to pick it up again and review the concepts...

One watches the almost complete madness of a man on the verge of nervous collapse and yet entirely in charge of this beast and it makes my gorge rise. I don't think he had any idea just what he was getting in to - the extent to which he was used - and the levels of perfidy necessary to remain where he is without confrontation. He knows, clearly, that he must get his own boots on the ground and soon. He knows - or has been told - that the only way to keep the reins in future is to educate the very young in the manner of their choosing. And he knows that if more companies start losing money that they will question what he can offer them and remove him. Thus, the instant insinuation of gov't into private business.

It is as though the attacks from different angles on his control are being fended off with yet another intrusive gov't writ. Their only real problem? The net. Oh, they've the media all wrapped up. But the net and its free speech? It's a terrible problem with few solutions. And if you think this electronic freedom will last you are mad. It will be the very next thing they'll feint at - testing the waters here and there to see what draws your greatest attention and refutation.

Will it be a tax on bandwidth? Or just, as we are already seeing, a set of searches being edited, admins adding sites to the banned list based on naught but their preference and marching orders? And, of course, this is all a very handy way to find those you really need to shut up. Fast. Think audits can't be had with a phone call? Licenses pulled? Cases drummed up?

I've been fighting this sort of thinking for months, now. I've been telling myself to just go through the days and deal. But as things move at an incredible pace I know it is just a matter of time. Archive, I tell myself. Print, file and keep for posterity. Hell, I've a small stack of paper to take in case of emergency - history books, and the like. Like the books that a man shoved into a septic tank in Pournelle/Niven's "Lucifer's Hammer", I consider it a sort of...survival library. Because your Kindle isn't going to last that long in the field. If only they still made those small thin-paged books as they did during WWII...I've only one of them in my library - Isak Dinesen, of course. "Winter's Tales". And yes, she'll be properly protected and placed in that box.

Oh, how I wish there was some bright lining. I wish Texas would take it upon itself to be the first to step away from the table...to say they've had enough, thanks, and we'll see how we do on our own...

Wouldn't that be an amazing start?

Against that day, I continue to make plans, consolidate, and consider.

7 comments:

Aaron said...

I've got to agree with you about the groups, certainly the militias at least. I do have one caveat however:

When SHTF how do you get everything done that needs doing? What I mean to say is, you can't be doing everything yourself. Modern technology helps with so much of the work we would otherwise have to do, work that will have to be done by hand if that technology and infrastructure goes away or is hampered somehow.

LauraB said...

That is a very valid and good question. From banking to washing dishes and clothes we've become enamored of our work savers.

Me? I've gotten a lovely little book: Handy Farm Devices And How to Make Them.

Frankly, the Amish manage quite well. I try to imagine it like that - except well-armed.

But you're right. There are a vast number of things that make our lives better, comms easier, organizations more nimble, security more complete. We'll have to adapt.

Anonymous said...

"We'll have to adapt."

Absolutely! And no offence intended, Aaron, but you adapt by getting down to the basics. Hard work. Taking care of you and yours FIRST, then only then, helping your worthwhile neighbor. Not the ones that are begging you for the handout, oh no, the ones that are working just as hard as you, but might have a little stumble on a boulder put in their way. As the ol' boy scout motto says, "Be Prepared".

Love your site, T.G.

Thanks,

J.W.

Anonymous said...

OH! And the Firefox series of books may help you be prepared, Aaron! Very, very informitive. And there are many good blogs out here right now to HELP you get prepared.

Thanks, T.G.

J.W.

LauraB said...

Thx, JW. Truth is, if it gets as bad as some predict, I am expecting to wear filthy clothes rather a long while...few baths...and maybe even mercy killing of pets to prevent their starving.

You see, if it gets as bad as it could, your current 4 walls (for most of us) are as safe as tissue paper. You won't be able to hold anything more than the ground you stand on right then. And even so, only if you are very good at taking care of yourself.

Bare bones survival, that is what I plan for. Anything more is pure gravy.

Aaron said...

Thanks for the tips J.W.

It was just a question I was posing. One that I think enough people don't ask themselves. Most of the people who I know who are "preppers" are enamored of this unrealistic vision where they and a small family, or just themselves in some cases, manage to make it through a disaster without help. I "think" (and to honest it's just that since I don't really know anyone who's been through a SHTF scenario as bas as most here are expecting....and I haven't either) that I'll need help when SHTF. Since I can't be everywhere at once I'll need help guarding things that are important (house, food production, etc.) because people who didn't prepare will be stealing and/or raiding everything that they can get their hands on. Since I'm only one person I'll need a hand whupping up on threats I can't outrun or relocate to avoid.

Right now my main strategy is looking out for myself and family of course but I'm also making sure that I'm working with "neighbors" (people who I think are worth a crap) to make sure that when the time comes they don't NEED a handout.

Anonymous said...

No thanks needed Aaron. Just take care of you and yours first.

I agree with you, T.G.
I am willing to forgo the all the froo froo. But I am prepared to rebuild up from the very basics, and I have the knowledge, somewhat, to do so.

Hang in there...I really think most of us like minded folks can get through whatever comes our way!

:-)

J.W.