Sunday, April 26, 2009

Texas

You know, I was once a punk from Chicago. I never imagined my life would bring me to the south. I assumed it would be all dark, dank, dangerous living from one horror to the next. It was all I'd known, after all.

And yet...here I am. If you haven't SEEN much of the state, you cannot truly comprehend the people here. There is no hesitation to stand for the anthem, no hat remains on head, 2/3'rds of the crowd salute. And not merely out of some sort of vague notion of propriety.

When Trooper first came to academy for an interview he pulled up just as they were mounting the flags in that early morning light. People STOPPED THEIR CARS on the side of the road, got out, and waited patiently with hands on hearts. This is no place for moderate patriotism - it's a place where it is most basic and sincere. It is in the very soul of the people.

And now, the question of secession...the post here covers it rather well. My only complaint with much of the talk on the subject is this: quit looking to history and law, and congress for permission to do what we, as a people, wish to do.

No one who ever led a revolution did it within the confines of the "law". I've been watching the History Channel - a program called "The Revolution" - well worth the purchase as it has been a kind of primer on the matter. Too, I was woefully ignorant of the entire thing, having passed over history class in order to perform some financial matters in the Ladies, instead. But it has refreshed my thinking.

You don't ASK for your freedom. You Demand it. You Expect it. You Assume it.

Which should not be read as it will be a walk in the park. It will be heartache and death, hunger and fear. But it can be done. And I hope it shall be.

2 comments:

Ed Rasimus said...

Ahh, Chicago born. That explains it, said the current Texan who was born and raised at Milwaukee and Lawrence in the Jefferson Park area. I left there shortly after the invention of fire (any graduating from college at IIT) to make my way around the world as an instrument of national policy. Never looked back.

LauraB said...

Huh - Kedzie & Lawrence...I think I've spelled it correctly.

Attended Von Steuben ever so briefly...using the term "attended" rather loosely.

And yes, I never went back.