Sunday, August 16, 2009

She Reveals Herself

I've been quietly reading the blog of a lovely Mormon woman who goes by Nie. She had this quote in this morning's post.

"There is in every true woman's heart a spark of heavenly fire,which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity; but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity." -Washington Irving

Is it not the very truth?

Today she has chosen - on the one year anniversary of that terrible accident - to reveal herself to everyone. As a fellow burn victim I can appreciate that courage. My own scars are small and private. Hers stand out for all to appreciate. Today she gives them to us whole.

And in that visage, that flesh that she fights to see herself in, I saw a depth of strength and beauty that was somewhat unexpected. She is there. Plain as day.

Their faith is a very impressive one. I've never bent the knee, really. I don't necessarily need a church or congregation. I don't even really choose to name the ineffable. But in her there is an astounding level of my favorite attribute, grace.

What an incredible human being was wrought there...just amazing...

No comments: