Saturday, November 28, 2009

Holiday Horror

What might be the worst personal affliction on this holiday o' feasting? Not being able to taste any of it.

Yes, I've been brought low with a bad cold/sinus infection/attack from the planet Mucus. (Yeah, thanks for sharing, eh?) It began late Tuesday. Wednesday morning I was hardly able to get around. Never mind cooking...I completely forgot the pineapple cheese casserole (!!) and Trooper had to make the sweet potato fluff under my nasal-y direction.

I stood back at the dinner, trying hard to not touch ANYTHING but my own plate and glass. I begged off of any affections. I felt utterly useless on the one day that I am usually joyfully cooking, serving and tasting of the abundance...sadly, I could only eat for the sake of civility, making kind remarks while tasting nothing so much as my cough drops.

It was a long day and I was so happy to get to bed. But sleep avoided me. If it wasn't my choking every hour, it was the damn cat trying to sleep on me -whichever side I proferred. Mind you, he's a honking beast of at least 15 pounds. He and I turned round and round in misery, sleeping perhaps 4 hours. And then there was the fair the next day...

I really should have begged off and stayed home. I don't know what I was thinking. But we'd planned the visit for so long...I was certain I'd feel better on - what? - day 3...I wandered the festival, looking at all manner of things but finally could do no more. I found a bench and fell onto it, waiting for Trooper to haul me off to the car, leaving our friends...

I did at least sleep but...I want nothing so much as to just peel off my face and hose out the innards. I will have to put the damned machine to use. (The usual sinus meds give me the worst head creeps and jitters. I cannot stand them.)

No pumpkin pie, no smoked turkey, no cranberry sauce nor chutney...it was all the same bland pablum. What a terrible fate for a cook...

However, I hope the rest of you had a terrific crud-free holiday. Stay safe...

4 comments:

Joan of Argghh! said...

Poor dear! I used to get strep every year for Thanksgiving, to the point where I had to stay home from the gatherings.

Now, it's a work schedule dilemma. I've almost given up on Thanksgiving.

Mend soon!

Brigid said...

For Thanksgiving, I had just simple roast chicken from the deli and some green beans, potatoes and gravy. Plain, but nourishing after a hard week.

I do hope you feel better soon.

D.W. said...

I do hope you are feeling well again soon. If it's any consolation, I had leftover pizza while working the evening shift at the station on Thanksgiving...

I get to be home for Christmas, though, so I'll probably start taking "Airborne", uh, tomorrow. That oughta do it.

:-)

LauraB said...

Och - you each make me feel sorry for YOU! I did at least get a holiday and pumpkin pie.

But I understand...the surrender of usual holidays to duty. Thank you for that.

*Curtsey*