Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Rough Work

Well, this has been taking up a lot of our mental capacity lately...

"...involved in a wreck Sunday afternoon that left three children dead and two seriously injured..."

It's been a long couple of days and Trooper's coping relatively well but...I guess "disturbed" may be the best way to describe the situation. There is no sense to be found in any of it which leaves a person with...nothing. Even the funeral home personnel turned away for a few minutes, grappling for some kind of decorum.

Those frozen images that he has to deal with are hellish and I do not know how men and women do that work. Where do you put those memories? How to fold away the vision that you are not allowed to avoid? I know that everyone bitches about DUI blood draws and I understand the sense of the jackboot on necks that permeates many cities.

But in the midst of that anger and frustration try to remember that those same people sometimes have to load a somber line of body bags with limp children. You can't get training for that. There is no class in academy to cover Hell in your hands. You're just a human being dealing with some of the worst things humans are asked to deal with and are often not even thanked for it. - for saving the rest of us from doing that dark duty.

Have mercy is what I'm saying. And pray that the duty never falls to you, that those memories never have to be filed away in your mind. Trust me - there is no corner small and dark enough to hold it.

7 comments:

Stephen said...

The best among us take upon themselves the yoke of dealing with the worst. Thank you.

Linda Morgan said...

Laura, these are powerful words and I hope many people read them. Humble thanks to Trooper and to all those with the courage and humanity to serve as he does. May God bless him.

LauraB said...

Thanks, you guys...Trooper worked long minutes on one child, hoping against the obvious that it would help. Because it wasn't possible to just surrender them all.

But, in the end, that was what had to happen. And now...months of paperwork to remind him of it over and over...

Billy Beck said...

How bad is it, Laura? I once used my Buck knife to cut the T-shirt and bra off of a young woman who had been struck by a car while crossing Rt. 13 out of Ithaca at 3:00 in the morning. There she laid on the asphalt, turning black & blue right in front of me while we tried to save her life, and it just didn't work out. She was nineteen years old.

Turned out: she was the one who was drunk, and not the guy who hit her, who went through hell afterward.

Okay: she wasn't a child, and I guess that might mitigate what I'm trying to say, but I'll tell you this: that was a long time ago and I still see that. I always will.

Here is what I admire: the nerve of anyone who can step up to a scene like that. "The world needs men," and that's one of their jobs. These things happen and we are all called upon to do our best when they do.

However: it's no call for putting up with the *worst* from legislators who would use these good men behind sentiment gone nefarious.

We're talking about two different things.

That's what I always try to keep in mind.


Chins up, Youse Two. This is the work. Take your peace in that you are good hearts, and press on, with my love.

D.W. said...

I pray every day that I will never have to experience something like this. Since becoming a father I've become extremely cognizant of the impact that these events have on the lives of those involved, and find that it moves me deeply to consider the tragedy of it all.

First responders will always have my utmost respect and gratitude, for they go boldly where I'm not sure I'd be able to tread.

Please pass along my best to Trooper.

The Six said...

Actually laura, and speaking from experience, it's you and your family that help make the images dim. They'll never go away (at least they haven't for me yet) but your obvious love and support allow him to go on for another day, another week, another year. Some days my wife and my daughter were the only things that held me together.
Pride, professionalism and family. The three pillars of a successful cop. It's seeing you and his family after such that reminds him that life does go on and is worth the investment of his mind, body and soul.
My wife would be proud of you Laura and she'd tell you that you're doing right by Trooper. Love is stronger than death. Never forget that and never doubt it.
The memories do not go away but they do become bearable. Thanks to those who love us.

LauraB said...

Thanks, Six...It always saddens me when you see one of the guys marry someone who will not make it. I don't know why they choose women who aren't...capable. Who need constant attention, or who cannot cover their own six...but they do it all the time.

Which leads to the high divorce rate. Sigh...

Thanks so much, though, for your kind words. We try...we really do try to help you guys get through it.