Friday, February 11, 2011

Clear Skies

Life has been too much of late and I've taken to reading the words of others rather than babbling here. The one thing that has helped me on the rough rides to the office has been the songs of old. Comforting for some reason...something to distract and buoy my spirits...







And then this which came to mind while reading Brigid's excellent treatment of the subject matter.


Trooper and I have been giving a bit of thought to flight lessons. With his birthday coming up I was thinking of a surprise...of course, with two flight instructors in our immediate group of friends, it shouldn't be hard. But I wonder if it is more expensive for them to get aircraft to teach in or to have a stranger do so with their own wings.

I've been so distracted lately. I read things from a year, two years ago, here that were really not bad and wonder where that ability went. The dogs demand attention much of the morning, chores the afternoon, and then dinner and dogs again in the evening until I feel as though I've no time left for just...thinking. Such is the life with two large animals. They cannot be ignored.

I think I'll squeeze the two of them into the back seat of the truck and go to the local state park for a change of pace. A change of place. I used to do so often with Ranger and almost forgot about the pleasant peace there. Yes, a change of scenery for us all today. Perhaps it will ease this uneasyness.

2 comments:

Ed Rasimus said...

Taking flying lessons is a lofty aspiration. It is a commitment and it leads to a lot of expense. The expense might be exactly what you want to do with your recreational $$ or it might be too much in the long run.

My advice is to not burden your instructor friends. They might volunteer and be well meaning, but you are better served learning in an organized environment from a neutral and objective instructor. You could otherwise jeopardize either your friendship or your training.

Check local airports for schools and compare aircraft and programs for cost. Don't forget to include ground school expenses.

Keep in mind that once you get a private license that it doesn't end. You'll need to keep flying to maintain your skills and if you chose to get into ownership, think of it as a boat that could kill or bankrupt you quicker.

It was much easier when I was a young man and lessons at the local air patch cost $10/hour dual and $7/hour solo "wet". Put zeros on those numbers today in many instances.

LauraB said...

I think you are right, Ed, about our friends. Best an impartial trainer...

I think Trooper has some GI Bill $ or somesuch that he can apply.

As for ownership - och, a dream - no a nightmare...